At the Women's march

At the Women's march
All Lives Matter

Never Again

Never Again
We Won't Go Back

Monday, October 8, 2007

Mathematical grandmas?

I just came across a terrific article by Kenneth Williams, a math teacher and author of "Fun with Figures," suggesting how we can help our grandchildren with math. And we can do it in really easy ways, like baking together and having them measure ingredients, checking a map or going to www.Mapquest.com to find out how many miles apart they live from you, taking them to lunch and asking them to check the bill and figure out the tip. I know my granddaughters are learning some math when they sell me Girl Scout cookies and tell me how much money I'll have to pay on delivery. Fortunately, they don't tell me how many calories I'll be taking in after I get all those goodies! The chocolate mint cookies are still my favorites.

To read the article, go to:
http://www.limeehai.com/156/grandparents-help-your-grandkids-do-math/

And let me know how your "teaching" sessions go.

1 comment:

Nana Connie said...

Oma Sally,

These are such practical things...
thank you for the great reminder how life is the constant teacher.