At the Women's march

At the Women's march
All Lives Matter

Never Again

Never Again
We Won't Go Back

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

TRAVELING TO THE GRANDCHILDREN

Years ago I wrote a little article about the places I might never have seen if my children weren’t there – and if I were not going to visit them. Let’s see – there was Eugene, Oregon; Ajo, Arizona; Yellow Springs, Ohio; Annandale, New York; and Eagle, Alaska. Now I could say the same thing about going to see my grandchildren. We’ve taken the short (2-hour) drive to Whitehouse Station, New Jersey to see Anna & Nina; and the 8-hour flight and one-hour drive to Nauheim, Germany to see Lisa, Maika, and Stefan. Fortunately, they all come to see us too.

This past week, Mark and I went to Homestead and Redland, both in South Florida, where Stefan was working on organic farms during his semester break from Osnabrueck University in Germany. He made his arrangements through WWOOF (World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms), through which young people from all over the world go to organic farms around the world and work four hours a day for room and board. His first farm, Paradise Farm, proved not to be so paradisiacal for him, so he was fortunate to find a happier spot nearby at Nature’s Acre.

By the time we came down to Florida, Stefan had fulfilled his work commitments, and we were free to go to the Everglades, Key Largo, John Pennekamp State Park, the Fruit and Spice Farm (a Dade County park), and Miami Beach. We packed a lot of togetherness and activity into three days. We jogged together, beached together, had long talks over dinner, and took lots of photos. I loved the years of having grandbabies and grandtots, but now I appreciate the very special joys of being able to enjoy the company of adult grandchildren, and feeling the love still flowing both ways.

On the plane coming home, Sharon, our 20-something seatmate, was traveling from her home in Costa Rica to New York, to spend time and show her love for her 93-year-old grandma. I assured her that her grandmother would be thrilled by her visit. I know some things.

4 comments:

Nana Connie said...

Oh Sally,

I love your last line... "I know some things."

Kenz often reminds me that she wants me to babysit for her children when she grows up. "And how many are you going to have?" I ask her.

"I'm having five!" she laughs.

"I'll be way too tired" I tell her.
"Don't worry Nana,"she says, "Nana Sandi will help you."

Nana Sandi is her Dad's mom. I can just see the two of us great grands.... still babysitting..

lol... Play wit me great Nana!

Organic gardening? Very cool. Sounds like you had a great trip.

Sally Wendkos Olds said...

Yes, we did have a great trip, thanks. You must be looking forward to the days when you'll be great-Nana-ing Kenz's five -- you'll be setting new records!

Donne Davis said...

What a lovely piece. It made me remember the train trip my grandma and I took across the country when I graduated from high school. We rode from California to New York and back. I can still remember riding in the dome car and the beautiful views of diverse scenery. On our trip back I sat next to the chef one evening and learned how to make the delicious deep-fried french toast served in the dining car. My gram and I had the best time seeing the country together. What a gift that was!
Donne Davis
http://gagasisterhood.com

Susan Adcox said...

It sounds as if you had a heavenly trip. My oldest grandchild is 16, so I don't yet know the joys of adult grandchildren, but I have thoroughly enjoyed my teen granddaughter.

From your piece it is obvious that the values that you had a part in instilling into your children are living on in your grandchildren, and what a pleasure that is to see!